Welcome to my world ... All material copyrighted as bullsh*t ...

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Killing your co-workers #1 : The nuclear bacon roll


At my place of work we always get the sandwich trolley arriving at about 10-11 a.m. It has a nice array of bacon rolls, which each come wrapped in tin foil. People buy these en mass, and at the end always scrunch the foil up to a nice ball.

With my background in physics this got me thinking. If I were to substitute the tin foil one morning for some kind of foil made from a high yield nuclear material like plutonium - apart from keeping the roll nice and warm, upon finishing their roll and scrunching up the pluntium based foil - what would happen? Would I be able to cause a nuclear reaction by the foil achieving a critical nuclear density to set off a mini-Hiroshima event which only those hidden behind reams of ISO 9000 compliance documents would be able to survive?

Well sadly, having researched this I have discovered it won't work. My good friends at Wikipedia have the following entry for critical mass ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass

And it seems even with the oddly named Californium, I'd need 5kg of the tin foil to achieve the chain reaction I wanted - somewhat more than it takes to wrap the average bacon roll at any rate ...


All material copyrighted as bullsh*t ...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must ask as I have much curiosity – how would one build such a wondrous device?

11:13 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home